AL-05 Congressional candidates Mo Brooks and Steve Raby met in Huntsville yesterday to "debate" issues and a sorry spectacle it was. According to the Huntsville Times article by Challen Stephens (and Mooncat's eyewitness account), the men spent more time agreeing than debating. However, this tidbit from Brooks about business regulation really stood out:
"Another thing we can do is have faith in the free enterprise system," Brooks said. In answer to a question on business taxes, he argued that businesses in China have an advantage because of fewer regulations on air pollution, water pollution and waste disposal. "We need to level the playing field," he said.
Let's consider what "leveling the playing field" might mean for health and safety regulations in the United States.
Hey, we wouldn't have to import dangerous products from China! We can make them right here at home! Our businesses can kill American workers too. Those damn regulators are responsible for a dangerous "safety gap" that makes it hard for our businesses to compete with third world countries.
Take a minute to scan these headlines from the past few years and insert the word "American" or "United States" in place of "Chinese" or "China."
- China Admits Tainted Pet Food Link - April 26, 2007
- Toys Just One Danger Imported From China - 8/18/2007
- 17 Killed in China Mine Explosion - May 10, 2010
- Dozens Killed in Chinese Mine Explosion -June 21, 2010
- 30 Killed, 13 Trapped in Separate Chinese Mine Accidents - July 18, 2010
- Chinese Mine Accidents Multiply - 28 dead, 192 Missing - April 2, 2010
- Chemical Spill in China Poisons Water Supply. Brings Danger and Coverup - November 26, 2005
- China's Rivers - Frontlines for Chemical Waste - Feb. 23, 2006
- Chinese Air Pollution Deadliest In World - July 9, 2007
- Child Labor on the Rise in China - March 7, 2001 (A school exploded when teachers forced students to assemble fireworks instead of learning reading and writing....)
Oh, and let's not forget the Chinese baby formula scandal where businesses sold tainted formula that killed babies and injured more than 6,000, leaving them with serious conditions like kidney failure.
Yes campers! By all means, let's "level the playing field" and become more like China. We may not be able to work without injury, eat safe food, drink clean water, breathe clean air, or have our children grow into adulthood, but BY GOD corporations will fatten their bottom lines.
American GOP way!