How is is possible that "bestiality" is not a crime in Alabama already? And will this bill get jammed up in the Senate by Jabo Waggoner? He's already sitting on the anti-cockfighting bill, but perhaps he has an extra place to stick HB421 as well.
The Democratic minority leader, Rep. Craig Ford, sponsored the bill, whose text is almost too creepy to believe:
(1) SEXUAL CONDUCT. Any touching or fondling by a person, either directly or through clothing, of the sex organs or anus of an animal or any transfer or transmission of semen by the person upon any part of the animal for the purpose of sexual gratification or arousal of the person.
(2) SEXUAL CONTACT. Any contact, however slight, between the mouth, sex organ, or anus of a person and the sex organ or anus of an animal, any penetration, however slight, of any part of the body of the person into the sex organ or anus of an animal, or any penetration of the sex organ or anus of the person into the mouth of the animal for the purpose of sexual gratification or sexual arousal of the person.
There are other animal protection bills pending this term:
- Mandatory Animal Abuse Reporting (HB439), sponsored by Rep. Jack Williams, is up for a vote in the House on Thursday, 4/19.
- The anti-cockfighting bill (SB175), sponsored by Senator Cam Ward, is being held up by Senator Jabo Waggoner - 334-242-7892 email@example.com
- Low-cost Spay/Neuter Clinic Bill (HB156), sponsored by Rep. Patricia Todd, needs a vote in the Senate. Call/email your representative and ask for his/her vote.
Contact info for Alabama State Senators is on the flip, courtesy of the Alabama Voters for Responsible Animal Legislation. Visit their Facebook page for legislation status updates.
Certainly, we can't take the pressure off the legislature about cuts to education, Medicaid, health care, and other services. But animals depend totally on us for protection. I've had people get snippy about animal issues and say "I care about people!"
Well, so do I. And it's been my experience that there's a direct connection between concern for animal welfare and concern for humans. You either care about helping the vulnerable or you don't - no matter what the species.
Alabama State Senators
SENATORS:ALLEN, Gerald (R) 21 334-242-7889
BEASLEY, Billy (D) 28 334-242-7868
BEASON, Scott (R) 17 334-242-7794
BEDFORD, Roger (D) 6 334-242-7862
BLACKWELL, Slade (R) 15 334-242-7851
BREWBAKER, Dick (R) 25 334-242-7895
BROOKS, Ben (R) 35 334-242-7882
BUSSMAN, Paul (R) 4 334-242-7855
COLEMAN, Linda (D) 20 334-242-7864
DIAL, Gerald (R) 13 334-242-7874
DUNN, Priscilla (D) 19 334-242-7793
FIELDING, Jerry (D) 11 334-242-7898
FIGURES, Vivian Davis (D) 33 334-242-7871
GLOVER, Rusty (R) 34 334-242-7886
HOLLEY, Jimmy (R) 31 334-242-7845
HOLTZCLAW, Bill (R) 2 334-242-7854
IRONS, Tammy (D) 1 334-242-7888
KEAHEY, Marc (D) 22 334-242-7843
MARSH, Del (R) 12 334-242-7877
McGILL, Shadrack (R) 8 334-242-7858
ORR, Arthur (R) 3 334-242-7891
PITTMAN, Trip (R) 32 334-242-7897
REED, Greg (R) 5 334-242-7894
ROSS, Quinton T., Jr. (D) 26 334-242-7880
SANDERS, Hank (D) 23 334-242-7860
SANFORD, Paul (R) 7 334-242-7867
SCOFIELD, Clay (R) 9 334-242-7876
SINGLETON, Bobby (D) 24 334-242-7935
SMITH, Harri Anne (I) 29 334-242-7879
SMITHERMAN, Rodger (D) 18 334-242-7870
TAYLOR, Bryan (R) 30 334-242-7883
WAGGONER, J. T. "Jabo" (R) 16 334-242-7892
WARD, Cam (R) 14 334-242-7873
WHATLEY, Tom (R) 27 334-242-7865
WILLIAMS, Phil (R) 10 334-242-7857
Alabama House Member Contact Info